Friday, December 18, 2009

Country Mouse, City Mouse

I decided to believe the hype about the storm of the season and headed into town to get a new set of rear tires and brakes (something that shouldn't have taken more than an hour, hour and half but ended up taking the entire day-something about not having the right size tire, ugh!). So I loaded up my boy Deacon, and headed in so he could get some town time.


My house is up on a hill, in the trees and backed up against the National Forest. The dogs could go days before they ever saw another person. Now, since they are search dogs, they need to see more than one person every two to three day, so I try to bring them into town to socialize them.
I got the truck keys to the right repairman and headed out with Deacon. And as soon as he found the first up right structure, he marked it. I have a theory about why my boy dogs mark so much and it has to do with their search work. It has to do with them not trusting me being able to find my way back home. At least if they mark the path they took out they can follow their own scent to get back home.

In typical Lab style, Deacon had no problem with the cars whizzing past or stopping at the curbs before crossing the streets. His favorite thing was passing by all the restaurants that line Court Square. He kept trying to persuade me that he really should be allowed to go through those doors and follow those most interesting scents to their source.
I needed to drop off something in one of the offices in downtown, so I made sure he had his search vest on and Deacon took his first elevator ride.
He got to meet all the top brass on the city's fire department.

So my sweet country mouse had his great adventure in the city and felt like he's lived there all his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment