Friday, December 11, 2009

Can't Train


For the past six weeks, I've been dealing with horrible muscle injuries due to to my inability to remember that I am not 25 any more! And it is driving me crazy.

I've been a SAR dog handler for the past thirteen years and usually train every day. This forced inactivity has been a real eye opener for me. I am fortunate that my dogs have been very patient with me and are content with the once daily jaunt to the barn to feed Lady and Ben. The one who has suffered the most is my younger dog, Darcy.

She is, by far the most ball driven dog I've ever trained. And talented to boot. Most times I don't feel like I am a good enough trainer for her. But, through the various health issues, hers and mine, she's about 6 months behind on her training. She was unlucky enough to develop the brain form of toxoplasmosis when she was 10 months old, and was very close to death. That knocked her back 3 months. Then I've been out for 3 months with my own orthopedic problems.

So it looks like Finn won't be able to retire when he is 10 years old like I'd planned. However, if he continues the way he's going, it looks like he'll be ready to go until he's 12! Not that I'd mind that.

No comments:

Post a Comment