Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Blackjack


A strong name for a strong dog.  A dog that should have had his strength celebrated.  But he wasn't.  He was tied to a box at the back of the property.  The only reason I was there was someone in the family had finally stood up to the owner and said enough was enough.

People tell me that putting a beloved pet down must be the hardest part of my job. It's not.  It's the old dogs chained to a box at the back of the property, forgotten, except to have food thrown at him occasionally.  Those are the ones that hurt.

Last Friday was a miserable day.  Cold, raining and he was my last appointment of the day. As I pulled up to a neatly kept double wide, I scanned the yard for the dog.  Because I wasn't sure this was the right place.  Then I saw the box.  And the worn circle of dirt that was this dogs' existence for 16 years.  A circle of flooded mud, with a heavy chain staked in the middle.  The box a collapsing homemade affair of plywood.

I stomped up the stairs cursing the rain, angry that I had to do this.  The woman that opens the door tells me that her daughter, the one who finally made the appointment, wasn't here yet.  I didn't care, I was starting no matter what. 

The skies opened up as I was walking back to him.  And I started grousing to myself about how wet I was getting.  Suddenly, I realized it didn't matter.  If he could endure years of this, I could honor him by staying with him during these last moments of his life.  I could go home to dry off and get warm.  He never could.

He should have been wary. He should have been suspicious.  He should have been a resentful dog.  But, he wasn't.  

He hobbled over to greet me in the typical Lab fashion, on legs that were riddled with arthritis.  Backbone showing.  Eyes cloudy with age. And bumped my hand for a pet. 

I loaded up my syringe and unclipped his chain, a chain big enough to tow a car with, because he needed to be free one last time.  

It didn't take long, releasing him from his hell.  I stayed with him, whispering what a good dog he is, the best really.  Then the rain stopped and I went home.

No comments:

Post a Comment