Thursday, October 13, 2011

Labrador RETRIEVER



I’ve tried I don’t how many different times to write another entry for this blog after posting the one about Teagan.  All have gone in the virtual circular file.  It’s been 3 ½ months since she passed away and so much has happened here at Glendair, but I just haven’t had the heart to write about them. 

I still miss her dearly and keep expecting her to come home from the trainers anyday, but my heart breaks just a little more each time when I remember she can’t come home again.

In August, the Deacon man got his chance to become a certified HRD (Human Remains Detection) dog for VDEM (Virginia Department of Emergency Management).  He was amazing.  He was spectacular.   He was confident.  And he was fast.  He found the first source in a two acre task area in less than 3 minutes.

Then promptly brought back to me.  That is an epic FAIL.

One thing we have drilled in our heads, is crime scene preservation.  It does no good to find the remains and then move them around so the police officers can’t tell what happened.  And it really doesn’t help if your dog does that and you then have to answer to the defense attorney.  Yikes!  I’d hate to see that dog handler.

Deacon is almost ready.  Actually, after all the work I’ve put into him for the past 6 weeks I think he is ready.  He hasn’t picked up a source in over a month.  But, if I really think he is over that little problem and I feel over confident that he will NEVER do that again, Murphy will hit me smack in the face and undoubtedly, it will be another epic fail.

There is a reason Deacon is a Labrador RETRIEVER… and if he can he will.


No comments:

Post a Comment