Monday, July 5, 2010

What Parents Ask Us to Do

Parents are always proud of what their grown children have accomplished.  They brag to their friends over their accomplishments, the doctor, the lawyer, the business man/woman.  The good mother, how good their grandkids are, and so on.  So, if they have some bad plumbing, they call the son that can fix things.  Health problems, call doctor.  Trying to set up a will, call the lawyer.  I am a veterinarian, but they don’t have any pets.  However, I do train cadaver dogs.

Their part of the county is still wooded and the road behind their house is tree lined and a good place to go walking.  But, they haven’t done much of that lately.  When I went home over the 4th of July weekend, my dad asks me to do something for them.  About 3-4 weeks ago a body had been found on the road behind their house.  And they didn’t find out about it until it was in the newspaper: 


They ask me to go out and look for the drop site. They were just so excited that they might be able to gossip a little with their neighbors.  There are so many things that went through my head, the loudest: "how cool is that" and the other thought was "some people have all the luck"!  But, there are several ethical things that doing what they requested that would have been compromised.  So I didn’t look, I walked the dogs in opposite direction.  Very tempting though.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, very tempting! I have to tell you, several years ago, my friends father drowned on the Potomac after falling off a dock and hitting his head while trying to get into his kayak. He was missing for several days. After search efforts quieted down, with no luck, I have to admit that I "self deployed" and took my dog out for a "canoe ride" around in that area. I didn't find him, but even being in a non-descript canoe, not in a uniform, and my dog not in any vest or anything, other kayakers could just tell by the look of him and what he was doing that he was working and wished me luck! I was like "Luck? For what?!"
    You're a better person than I Kathleen! :)

    ReplyDelete